Re: Vortex power supply - AC, but can take DC?

Bob Amstadt wrote:

>> Guys honestly its only a matter of time before you burn something
>> out!  I have been round and
>> round with my fellow repair people and we all say the same thing it is
>> not worth the risk and time
>> involved to get the equipment working.
>

> As an equipment manufacturer, I always recommend that people buy
> replacement power supplies directly from me.  In fact, I encourage it by
> only charging my cost on the replacement supplies.  My reasoning is that
> I know the behavior of the supplies that I ship.  There are other
> supplies that will work, but without having a chance to test them, I
> can't no for certain that they will work.  So, I try to keep my
> customers happy by providing them with a known good supply at a
> reasonable price.
>
> As far as getting supplies for obsolete equipment, I have found it
> difficult to always get a manufacturer supplied replacement supply for
> obsolete gear. In that case, I do what the people on the list here have
> been doing.  I do my best to determine what the required specs for the
> supply are and then I go find a suitable supply to meet those specs.

Of cause you're all correct.  Which is why in the previous post
 > Personally, though, I wouldn't risk it.
I said  "Always a good starting point, until checking schematics.. "
as a reply to this specific Vortex PSU question.

Whatever, I fully agree, and maybe should've refrained from the
comments, especially because I forgot to advice measuring the adapter
before using it.  Far too many says 9 or 12 volt, but measure far more,
especially the smaller possibly undersized ones.

FWIW, I never plug in non-specified adapters without checking the
schematics.
Short example: Bought an RME Multiface without adapter. The manual said
"DC 8-28 volt, ac 8-20 volt", but didn't mention connector polarity, so
I mailed RME to be sure, and also ask if DC was preferred.

--
rgds,
van Sinn