EWI MIDI sound modules

Hi,

During EWI discussions on this list I have been saying that I have only been able to get a smooth and expressive sound from software instruments over MIDI by using Logic's instruments. This was true, but recently I have had a chance to try out all my software instruments on a modern MacBook and what I found then is that a some software work a lot better on this machine compared to the G4 and G5 macs and single core Centrino PC's I have tried before. The biggest reward is the Arturia Moog Modular V that now answers back instantly on your playing. Maybe it's the new Universal Binary version from ARturia, I can't tell since I'm not doing a test with reference machines here - just working on my own rig.

In the latest Moog Modular V version you can assign MIDI CC#5 to the synth's Portamento On and the Breath (CC#2) or Expression (CC#11) to the three filter cutoff parameters (left thumb touch trail on the EWI). Doing this in the synths MIDI Bindings makes the assignment global and it works with all presets you load. I think the Moog Modular V really stands out among software synths, but even though I have owned it for a long time I have never been able to use it live. So it's nice to see that they finally get this wonderful synth working as you would expect.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)