Re: Logelloop audio example

Really enjoyed that!

Ricky
----- Original Message -----
From: Per Boysen
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:43 PM
Subject: Logelloop audio example

Hi friends,

Since we were discussing the new OS X looping software Logelloop I recorded a quick improvisation this morning, as an example:

This music is the sounding result of the following actions:

1) Stepping "Record".
2) Playing the first waltz type melody fragment for one bar.
3) Stepping "Overdub" on the downbeat where the second bar starts.
4) Keeping on playing, changing my phrasing a little for every bar (as the Overdub moves on to the next track of the loop with each new bar).
5) During bar four I stepped "Multiply" (I had filled up four tracks up to this point).
6) I made some drooling noise while multiplying for several bars (this track, 5, was set to play back in Reverse, one octave SPEED down and PRE EFFECTS - that's what makes it "dreamy").
7. Recorded one bar of live playing into the Granulaterre effect.

The music was generated in one go. No shoe gazing or tap dancing, just a few pedal kicks during some ten seconds or so. I'm finding this a very powerful aspect of Logelloop; you can create a groove almost instantly, and on many tracks (of loop layers) that work against each other in a poly rhythmically interesting way (if set to different SPEED values). Finally I must tell that I had set up the track mixer in advance to handle the recorded loop layers differently. Here's the scheme I used:

Track 1: Just a little FX1 send.
Track 2: FX1 send. Speed +12.
Track 3: FX1 send. FX2 send. Speed -12.
Track 4: FX1 send. FX2 send. Speed -5.
Track 5: FX1 send PRE fader. FX2 send PRE fader. Speed -12. Reverse. Volume 0.

This study was only scratching the surface of Logelloop, but I hope it gives an idea of the concept. It's indeed different from both the typical Repeater and the EDP concept. I think that is very exciting!

What Logelloop calls SPEED is the simple Rate Shifting (as it's called in Mobius) and the classic HalpSpeed of the EDP. Logelloop also does Repeater-like Pitch-Shift/Time-Stretch, but I don't like using that because of the calculation time needed that makes the music go out of sync when applied to real-time processing (as when you play live).

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)