Re: OT IN EAR MONITORS

Dear Rick,

I've been using IEM's for probably 5 years now.  Whether I use them all the time or some of the time depends on venue.  I love the reliability of having them, but I love the fluidity between use and non-use.  I have not come to rely on them but use them as any other looping tool in my arsenal, hardware or software, simply as needed and as enjoyed.

I use the sennheiser evolution series for both IEMonitors and Wireless mic'ing (or direct line'ing), have never had a problem, and love what I have...

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/21510

For ears, I use the top of the line Ultimate Ears, and I do believe in ear molds, cuz they don't fall out., however, since I began 'using', they have improved options on their site... i would advise purchasing ears which allow you to control how much ambient sound can come in... Shutting out all the sound from the outside world does give an element of control, but unless you have mics set up in your mix for ambient room sound and audience, you'll miss it... Also, I just like to hear the sound my instruments are making naturally, as distinct from only through the mic channel.  If I have money to throw at it, I'd get a pair of those.. Currently mine shut everything out.  There are many many sets of ears out there, though, and I'm sure that Zoe and others on the list will have many suggestions from their experience.

http://ultimateears.com

Of all the things we use, this is one that I would advise not skimping on from a position of price.  (okay, I lie, I feel that way about everything we use in our work, and I see myself as pretty money conscious)   I personally think this particular Sennheiser product is the best you can get for before jumping up in price about 2000 dollars...  But please realize that I work with a company who provides only wireless Mic'ing and Monitoring for major rock tours and Broadway shows, and time and time again, that's what they've told me. My sound man turned me on to these guys years ago and I've had really great luck.   That said, I can also help you with securing a unit for considerably less than you would pay at a retail outlet, and have a very personable and wonderful ally there...  Contact me offlist if you wish to pursue it.

Good luck, Rick, it's a lovely tool to be exploring, and it changed my entire life when I committed to buying it instead of trying to get people to rent  it on the gig... not only that, but it makes Skyping easier in the house too!  (a great side benefit)

And also, I use a direct sound 99.44 % of the time.  With you, who (I think) HAS to use microphones a lot with your plethora of instruments, you can virtually eliminate that icky feedback thing with ambient noise in your loops. Though I've never heard that issue in your performances, how do you DO that.. lol

All best to all.

Todd