Re: Powered Subs

Really interesting, Bill. Yes, I was always suspicious of the claim that
people can't hear the directional source of low frequencies. Even more
surprising is comments from old school sound guys who say no one can tell
whether you run stereo or mono through the mains...yes, maybe for a band
who
is all mono, but that would be a load of crap for today's electronic
musicians (we all know that and experiences the beauty of stereo imaging).
But back to the sub topic, I still may get two of the Mackies.  I don't
know
about anyone else, but if someone like Jeff Kaiser is using a stereo pitch
shifter in max (which I do on occasion as well), and he has the left side
at
+24 and the right side at -24 (and let's say he is playing a 200hz note),
+I
can hear it in the subs.  How can anyone not?  The test is simple. Just
run
a sine wave into system, let's say 100hz, turn of the mid/high mains, and
then do some hard panning of the subs. I can hear it.

You asked: "Out of curiosity, what is the lowest tone you typically
produce
in a show? The low E on a
> guitar? If so, then even one sub might be more than you'll need in order
>>
> to get your point across! ;-)"

As many folks know on the list, I use laptop processing via max (looper,
other octave effects) that completely transform the sound of my guitar. It
is not uncommon for me to play a low E on the guitar (82.4hz), and then
apply a two octave drop.  I'm not sure what that would be. It would be
below
41.2hz, which is low E on a bass guitar. In fact sometimes, I will go
force
a drop from let say some note on a guitar, and drive to 0hz.  Often times
you can hear that happen in my system because there will be a few clicks.
It's choking. :)  In live apps, one may not be able to hear let's 15hz,
but
you can sure feel it.  I would agree the feeling is probably not
directional, but if I rise above to 100hz. I can tell the direction.  I
don't how any anyone could say not....wouldn't that imply that if if a
guitarist striks he low E string, listeners could not tell the source,
left
or right? That seems absurd.

Kris

Kris