Re: Laptop live looping

Wow Per! That was a really great response.

The Pod + Interface without pre's sounds interesting. The Echo Audiofire2 is around usd 300 around here so i'll keep searching. But, from what i get, do you think it would be usable for live performing? Can you trust it?

P.s.: Ha, i've never posted a video! I've post some audio clips of looping with a DL4 and an acoustic guitar. But you did, in fact, replied to it generously.

On 1/6/08, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jan 6, 2008 10:07 PM, Ariel Rzezak <arzezak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm from Argentina so please forget my english!
>
> Hi, it's been a long time since i participate here. I don't know if someone
> will remember me

Of course! I watched a video you uploaded :-)

> I've already bought a macbook and want to work directly from my guitar to it
> using an audio interface.
>
> Any ideas coming from your experience?

You should really listen to the audio interfaces before deciding which
one to go with! Take a day off and bring your MacBook to a music store
to try out different interfaces. I'm hesitant to give advice because I
own a RME FireFAce400 it sounds better to my ears than other audio
interfaces I have used, when plugging electric guitar directly into
the box. On the other hand I have also achieved good laptop guitar
sound with audio interfaces that do not have a built-in mic amp (like
the RME Multiface, Echo AudioFire2, Indigo i/o). But with all these
cheaper boxes I have used an extra, outboard, guitar pickup amp - the
original Line-6 POD. A secondhand POD can be found quite cheap today
and then you plug into the POD and the POD into the audio interface.
That way you get the correct signal to sound optimal through for
example an AudioFire2 that is a very good and inexensive interface.

> On the software side, i've been listening to what Krispen Hartung and Jeff
> Kaiser are doing i feel very attracted towards MAX/MSP.

There is already a Max built looper available, Logelloop:
http://logelloop.logellou.com/Home.html
I've been using it a lot lately and like that it works well right
away. If you later on get into building your own patches in Max you
can easily add them to the Logelloop looper. I don't see the point in
"inventing the wheel a second time" - for crax sake, we want to get
out there and play! Not stay in and program ;-)

> It's really difficult to work with it?

I think so. In Max time is handled in an absolute way, as measured in
milliseconds. I never even think like that when making music, I always
think about music as a tempo and different relations to that tempo. To
me even music with no sounding beat has a tempo. So that's why I
prefer Plogue Bidule instead of Max when I need to program with a
"virtual sound design toolbox and patch-bay". Bidule has a good system
for synchronizing tempo relating modules and it also supports VST Time
Info.

> I mean, is it a really long learning
> curve? How about Reaktor?

You can do similar things with Reaktor and some say it is easier
because it is made up by a bigger prefab blocks compared to Max.
Bidule is somewhere in beetween.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen