Re: Fretless guitar built - ripped off the frets...

On Jan 14, 2008 4:04 PM, Charles Zwicky <cazwicky@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >I can see the point in using a brass nut if you're going for the
> >Fernandez sustainer later on, which is all electro-magnetic.
> >Per

> Per,
>
> What does this mean to you?

Good question! A brass nut alters the vibration response between wood
and string. When using a mechanical "vibrator" - as my Sustainiac C -
a brass nut may reduce the effect. However, when using a purely
electo-magnetic sustainer as the Fernandez that might not be such a
big deal. And often one of the reasons to use a brass net is that you
like the sound of just the string, when picked up magnetically as the
electric guitar pickups do. Does that make sense?

per