Re: tools

From: "Per Boysen"
Imagination and Silence. About half of each.

I regret posting "Koan style" like that

No Per. I like them!
Short and concise.

Ok, what about if the above doesn't seem to work? Then it's probably because you are concentrating too hard on the music you want to create. So hard that your mental focus blocks out the natural musical instincts that should guide your playing to fit in with the sounding music.

Yes.  I supose  most of us know this but it's so easy to fall
into this state when jamming with others...

Next phase, when you master the above, is technical aspects. I'd say the methodology is the same in looping as in mixing, composing or arranging. As in not layering instruments/sounds that are prominent in the same frequency band, if they have different musical roles. Musical parts that are intended to accompany each other do that much better if they are also, sound-wise, are easy for the ear to keep apart. The more different two instruments sound, the better they work for playing the "questions and answers" game in music arranging.

So you say that most oh these old techs work the same when
applied to live-looping. I think this level needs a lot of practice on your own even as testing a priori those, let's called it, live-mixing techniques. Main problem you must divide your available practice time between regular instrument practice + livemixing/looping..

As the third level we have "sound design in looping". I'd say there are two major concepts; the mixing concept for looping and the "reverse engineered mixing" concept for looping.

To loop according to the mixing concept you typically split up the looper/loopers output over many mixer channels and apply different effects to different loops. This way you have total control of the summed output. The more complex your music gets the more you will be mixing instead of playing.

Maybe this is why you limited your available Mobius track to just 4 or 5 of the 8 possible, isn't?... Mono or stereo?

Reverse-engineered mixing style looping is when you tailor the input sound before looping. Typically a performer of this school puts most effects directly on the input to make sure the looped sounds will not have interfering frequencies. Down-side is of course that you can't change the way sounds were originally recorded.

This approach is my favourite too, and you had a name for it!,
Great!!...

Also, I'm considering these days going for a mixed setup with a more samplestyle oriented side. Sure there's people doing interesting things triggering/processing one shots...

Just looking for a way that doesn't layers all sound i'm sending,
but gives you the capability of repeating some parts of it.

Maybe with track groups/focus lock and mute in mobius, samplerstyle/mute in EDP and mobius too,...

I'd be interested to know how some of you face this need.

Raul.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen