Re: What will become of the Repeater pitch stretching techology, I wonder

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:

> Incidentally how are you specifically doing your "chromatic" pitching. I
> have a small 10 note keyboard programmed into the FCB 1010, Plus I also
>rig
> it up to a 16 note analog sequencer. However I always get a bit of a
>lag, or
> portamento between notes, have you got it to work seamlessly with no
>slides
> between pitch changes??

I also had that portamento problem and even worse, sometimes the
Repeater never arrived to the correct pitch until it was time for it
to go to the next pitch. My mistake was that I had used the CC#
specified by the manual for pitch shift. David Torn hinted me into
using plain MIDI Notes instead and this worked much better. But you
can't program that into your FCB (or other MIDI controller). What you
have to do is to select one Repeater Track and then send MIDI notes
into it. Then the Repeater will hang on to this MIDI channel's MIDI
Notes for instant pitching of this Track's loops. So you can't work
pitch in more than one track this way. But it's really fast. I had an
arpeggiator juggle the pitch like super fast house techno over a one
octave span and never ran into the portamento trap. I heard Bill
Walker doing this with a guitar that has a built-in MIDI arpeggiator,
very cool.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen