Re: Mounting a Sustainiac B on a lap steel guitar

Hi there,

I'm not sure what good my advice might be.

I am definitely a loooooong time Sustainiac user (got my first model B in
the mid '80s).

I still own and use it  . . . along with a Model C that I got at NAMM
about 5 years ago.

Say "Hi!" to Alan Hoover for me next time you contact him - he's a great
guy.

Anyway, I acquired an el-cheapo lap steel a couple of years ago myself
with every intention of using one of my Sustainiacs with it.

But, as it turned out, the headstock was too thick for the clamp-on
transducer of the Model C and too narrow so that there was no room to
appropriately attach the magnetic bracket on the headstock for the Model B
transducer - so it was a total bust.

Even though I didn't ever get around to using it that way myself, I
suspect that the problem you may be experiencing has to do with the
"meatier" neck/body of most lap steels.

I am not shure what type of instrument yours is.

There are some that look like a trapezoidal plank of wood and some that
look more guitar-like (but with a thick square-ish neck).

It may be that the Sustainiac is simply having a hard time sending
vibrations through all that wood - it's a lot of mass to move - and then
ultimately to re-vibrate your strings.

Even I notice that when I grip the necks of my guitars a little more
firmly it affects the efficiency of the transducer's ability to sustain
the note - hence that is one reallly good way to subtly control the
character of the sustaining feedback being produced.

Perhaps your lap steel (depending on its design and construction) is
simply not a good candidate for using with an acoustic-driver type
Sustainiac (Models B or C).

It may be that one of the "Stealth" type, pickup-based, Sustainiac Models
would work better with your instrument.

But that would probably mean routing a new hole in to to fit in an extra
pickup/driver (since most lap-steels have only just the one pickup) - not
a good idea probably.

The prospects don't look good.

Without knowing more exactly what your instrument is like it is hard to
tell how to advise you to proceed.

Does this help?

Cheers,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

Flux Aeterna:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=6378076

Also check out the BEMF 1 CDs at:
http://www.boisemusicians.com/experimental/cd.htm

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042
http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=18131

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???