Re: qualities of reverb

Hi Michael,

of course these early classics benefit enormously from the early digital
reverbs that were available back then. Brian Eno used the Lexicon 224 most
prominently on "The Pearl", plus some Eventide Harmonizer (probably the
910,
as I believe the 949 wasnīt available around that time).

I wouldnīt go for a vintage Lexicon today because it can be a hard piece of
work to get them fixed in case they break. A Dynacord DRP-20(X) is my
secret
weapon for getting these huge and airy reverbs at a decent price (oops, now
I gave away a secret...). The Dynacord is slightly noisy (hissy) but this
can be filtered out rather easily (RSP Hush 2000 does miracles). It does
"freeze" reverbs as well as various room simulations, and my tech told me
the Dynacord used exactly the same processor as the Lexicon PCM-70, just
the
algorithms differed. In fact, I compared them, and I think the Lexicon
excels at smaller room ambiences while the Dynacord can sound really huge.
Adding a little external chorusing to the reverb (e. g. Roland Dimension D)
produces these lovely, blurred washes of reverb. Just awesome! The DRP-15
is
the smaller 1U version of the 20 but I was told it sounds even better,
without that annoying hiss.

You might also want to give the Roland SRV-330 or Sony DPS-R7 a try. Very
underrated because they are *not* Lexicons...

Hope that helps,

Stephen.

"Ambition makes you look pretty ugly, kicking squealing Gucci little
piggy."
(Thom Yorke/Radiohead -- "Paranoid Android")

Finally available: Stephen Parsick -- Traces of the Past Redux, reissued
with three previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Itīs out: [īramp] & markus reuter -- "ceasing to exist", a gorgeous dark
ambient album. available through our webshop at www.doombient.com

For info and audio, please visit the official [īramp] website at
www.doombient.com