RE: Laptops again

New computers are pretty darn fast these days.  Unless you want to run
lots of VST plugins at the same time or do intensive things like video
editing a mid-range processor will be fine.  For basic looping I doubt
you can even buy the minimum processor any more, everything will be
more than you need.  A 2.4GHz Dual core is plenty.

I'm not sure what "video control and projection work" means.  If it
is just sending occasional control messages to a video device then you
don't need much.  If you are actually doing real-time video
processing on the computer then you may need more.

Whatever you do get 2GB, memory is dirt cheap right now.

First set a price range.  There are roughly three ranges: above $2000,
between $1000 and $2000, and below $1000.  The Macbook you mention
(assuming we're not talking about the "pro") is around $1300.  The
Macbook Pros start at $2000.

If you're trying to go below $1000 then you will have to look at PC
laptops.  You should be able to find something that meets your needs
but it is a gamble.  You don't need the fastest processor available
but at the low end corners get cut that can affect audio performance.
You will want a video card with dedicated memory, some of the low-end
laptops may not offer that.

You will need to factor in between $200 to $500 for a firewire audio
interface depending in your needs.

If $1300 doesn't bother you then think about the software you want
to run and make the Mac vs PC decision.

If $2000 doesn't bother you then I would agree with the others,
get a Macbook Pro and be happy.  You can still run XP on it if you
want PC software but you will have to buy a license which can be tricky
if you don't have one laying around.

Jeff