Re: HOW MANY LOOPS DO YOU USE SIMLUTANEOUSLY?

Another reason why I have been more conservative with my looping is that I
really like the vibe and feel of a duo or trio performance, at the most.
Hence, when I start stacking all sorts of loops and sounding like a full
fledged "band" or ensemble, for me the performances looses a sense of
intimacy and authenticity that is conveyed with a solo or duo performance.
It is just my own opinion (I am not provoking debate here, not do I have
the
time)  that in freely improvised music, a wall of sound created by a
single
artist makes their musical personality very opaque and un-identifiable.

Albeit, for artists who have not mastered their instruments, who are
intermediate players, and are not comfortable playing solo or looping with
just one accompanying loop, creating a wall of sound with loops, based on
more basic and easily executable parts, is an relatively easy way for them
to sound "better" or more accomplished than they really are. I know this
will likely irritate or offend some beginner loopers, but it's the fact of
the matter, and something looping technology has allowed. No one may admit
it on the list here, but I've talked about this in private with many of
the
accomplished loopers on this list, and all agree on this point. It is like
recording in the studio with multiple tracks and punching in and out to
get
one part right, vs. being able to play it flawlessly from beginning to end
at the start.  I find that in looping, this can occur in real time, and I
have done it myself in the past.  It is not the type of performance that I
am most proud of or one that I would use to exemplify my ability as a
performing artist. It is convenient for the sake or producing a musical
equivalent of "fast food" at a gig, but not French or American cuisine. :)

Kris