Re: OT: compensation (WAS Re: Looping venue help)

On Apr 10, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Daryl Shawn wrote:
> I don't need a second job and if I did, I'd find something where
> payment was guaranteed and had a direct relation to the time I put
> into it, which sure as hell isn't the case in any sort of art.

you get what you ask for in my experience... if this is your attitude
then you won't EVER get paid.

> Certainly part of the argument against playing for free runs that
> it devalues the market for everyone else who may NEED to be paid.
> Maybe so, but the commercial music industry and lack of government
> arts funding deserve much more blame for their lack of support, and
> further, anyone who needs to be paid for their music has to know
> that they're going out on a highly arbitrary limb in relation to
> their survival. Even more so if they're playing unusual stuff.

So you support the lack of support from the music industry and
government arts programs? Why not just apply for the support... it
does exist.
Sounds to me like you are towing the line of your oppressors.

Teddy K