Re: Derek Baily Improvisation TV

----- Original Message -----

> with homicide, it's all in the intent. Transcription without a doubt
> improves ear training, which is crucial for improvisation.

I think this is what is debatable, you think?  I mean, you wouldn't force
feed this learning approach on all learners I hope....? That seems a bit
unfair, given all the different types of learning styles and learners out
there.  This is why modern learning technology incorporates learning
methods
that address most all major learning styles - textual, verbal, visual,
kinesthetic, etc. It is a real injustice that many music students have
probably given up their instruments because some old school teacher has
attempted to force a particular learning approach on them, that didn't
complement their individual learning styles. It's a tradegy in my opinion,
and very sad.

For me, transcription did nothing but take time and elongate/burden the
learning process. I could learn phrases and licks 50 times faster by ear.
So, again in my own personal experience, transcription served no value
except to take more time. I already know how to notate music and read it
(even sight read basic material), so transcribing stuff that someone else
already wrote was really a clunky and inefficient way of learning their
technique, etc.   For me, it just didn't add up how transcribing something
that someone else already created, could help me be a better improviser.
It
went against the grain of my personal learning style, which is the main
point here. Really interesting topic.

Kris

I do it all