Re[2]: This is your brain on jazz -- MRI studies of improvisation

I suppose I'll chime in on this, since this thread has grown increasingly
interesting.  I kind of dig the way Stockhausen was phrasing the idea.
Reminds me of an interview with Keith Richards (not an improv genius by
any means, I know) in which he was actually using the language analogy we
were into a bit ago when he was talking about learning to play.  The final
quote was something like "nothing you ever play is actually yours.
Everything you've ever heard gets absorbed and then you filter it and it
comes out as you, but you're taking everything from something else."  To a
certain extent I kind of agree.  There's only twelve notes, only a certain
number of rhythmic ideas and subdivisions, really our system of western
music is pretty finite.  (Granted you can go microtonal, but still.)  I
guess I think of improvisation as taking what we have and placing it in a
context that enhances the musical aesthetic.  You wouldn't play some
ridiculously "out" shit over a standard, or use the Locrian mode over a
regular (non-jazz-based) 12-bar blues.  We are limited by the
aforementioned notes and rhythms, by our instruments and their
characteristics (range, tambre, etc), by our own technical facility as
musicians, but I think of great improvising is finding places to fit your
sound into the greater scope of the music.  Sometimes this can be really
free playing (letting your fingers think for you instead of making
conscious note choices), or randomly using filters and other electronics
(some of the weirdest noises I've ever heard came out of a Boss DD6 Delay
box when I turned the wrong knobs on a poorly lit stage).  But in other
situations, I think really having ears and theory, knowing your scales,
etc. is the only way to get your ideas out quickly.  I'm not advocating
shedding Coltrane solos note-for-note, but being able to "hear" want you
want in your head and know exactly how to get that out of your instrument
is invaluable.  Nothing sucks more than having a great idea on stage that
could take the whole thing to another level, and not being able to pull it
off.  Don't get me wrong, I'm actually pretty lousy at jazz (at least the
harmonically complicated bop stuff), but it's something I constantly work
on because not knowing your craft to the fullest extent possible is
ultimately going to hold you back.  I know a lot of folks who say theory
and such is restricting or creatively detremental, but I think if you look
at a lot of the "legends" or "geniuses" or "innovaters" out there, you'll
see a fairly consistent trend of them really knowing their shit.
Disclaimer: this is not an attack on anyone else's thoughts on or
methodology for improv, I'm just calling it how I see it.  If you're
making beautiful music that satisfies both self and audience, I don't
really care how you're doing it, because clearly whatever it is is working
:)  Many apologies for the lengthy rant.
Peace,
-Travis
Original E-mail