Re: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

I have several types of gigs that I play. One is basic acoustic covers. 8 to 12 a month. This is with small pa, RC50, in rooms ranging from small to medium size pubs, to outdoor decks and beach bars. These pay $175 for 3 hours to $200 to $250 for 4 hours. Much more for Private and Corporate gigs.
I also play more sophisticated rooms, college bars, lounges etc. This is more groove style music done with Ableton, SL and Logic, again solo. Acoustic and Electric guitars. Some beats, similer to Keller Williams but more electronic.  I can slide original material in here. Same rates apply, but they are almost never 4 hours. They usually have the benefit of having a house PA. I do about 3 or 4 of these a month.
The Third type of gig (and these are what allow me to not have a day job) are daytime gigs at rehab centers, retirement homes, hospitals etc. These are one hour, $150, a small amp, acoustic guitar and an RC2. I can do as many as 8 of these a week. These are oddly enough, the most rewarding spiritually for me. I know it sounds corny, but to make somebody's day who is in a bad way, is really great. These gigs material range from standards, to italian and irish songs, to basic acoustic covers.
So yes, I've made some compromises that allow me to live off music. But it beats workin.
I just wish I started doing this years ago.
Chris