Re: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

Warren wrote:
"I'm sorry Rick, while I respect you immensely, I gotta come down with
Travis on this (who I think you've been a bit rude to), but maybe phrased
differently: people of limited means, as most people are, tend to spend
most
of their money on things they perceive that they *have* to spend money on
-
food, shelter, medical care, etc. Musicians are a category of
discretionary
spending, so we tend to make less. I think Travis is using "useful" to
mean
an "unavoidable expenditure".

I hear what you are saying Warren, except to mention that
my intention was never to be rude to Travis and if he perceived my
comments
as rude I apologize, profusely.

But the problem I see is not about the way things are as you so adroitly
point out, but more about the way they are percieved.

Of course, I can't make much of a living anymore as a professional
musician
after being one of the most successful professionals in
my local area for 25 years.............that's just the way it is,  I
agree.
What upsets me is that a lot of people begrudge that I'd even
aspire to it.   That's a shocker and why I responded so strongly to
Travis'
original posting.

Warren wrote:
"Whether you respect what you do or not or are bitter or not about this
reality doesn't change it, and one shouldn't have to wear blinders in
order
to be PC about this. Of course music has value. Of course musicians should
be well-compensated. Of course Bush should have been drawn and quartered 6
years ago. This is not a perfect world."

There are lots of things that are true about life that suck horribly,
Warren:
the world is overpopulated and increasingly so.
human beings are eroding the quality of the ecosystem on the planet.
western and western styled  economies are beginning to fail.
music and art seem to have rapidly decreasing respect amongst the populance
(at least where I live to be frank................according to Per and
Rainer, this is NOT the case so much in their respective countries).

This doesn't mean that it is right or that it is good or that we should
champion 'what is'  just because we can't change it.
A large part of why the world is in a tough place currently is because
people have let it become that way.

Maybe I"m just an old fart hippy activist, but I say,   "Fuck that".
I think art and music are worth fighting for.  I think respect for artists
and musicians is worth fighting for.
If I'd just been resigned to 'what is'  then I would have never led so
many
campaigns against the laws
our city council and police department put into place, limiting the
ability
for musicians to play in public.
If I'd just been resigned to 'what is',  the we wouldn't have sacrificed
so
much to get the looping festivals started
and up and running.      Hell,  they lose money hand over fist and I can't
pay practically anyone for their performances.

I guess I come from a more idealistic
older era, but I do get angry when the arts are continually
hurt............when they are increasingly not supported by institutions ,
the general
populance and even the artists themselves.

There just  seems so much resignation amongst young people (and a lot of
musicians that I know).
There also seems to be an increasing intolerance to people being angry
about
the way the world is going.
'Whatever, dude' ,   "don't make waves'  seems to be the order of the day.

I grew up at a time (the late 50's and  60's)  where music was almost
revered by my generation and I'd be lying if I didn't say that
it's painful to me, emotionally speaking,  that newer generations seem so
cavalier about music.........................as if music is only
a product and not a way of life (as I see it).

I don't even have a problem with the fact that the paradigm is shifting
radically.    If I was young and starting over again, I would NEVER become
professional
musician in the current climate.      I do 'art' gigs that I made a living
off of as little as 5 years ago for free all the time now.

What I find shocking, however, is that musicians are the ones who seem
also
to not put value on music's worth in our culture.
That's why I was so forthright in what I wrote back to Travis.

Also, if you'll read my original post, I was very explicit about asking
him
if this is the way he felt.   I even wrote that I was assuming things and
wanted to check it out
because I read a tone in his message that was disturbing to me.

Again,  if I offended, I apologize profusely.   It wasn't my intention,
honestly.

And in conclusion, though it seems rather unpopular, I  think that there
is
nobility in committing oneseful to a life of art.
In a way,  besides the art itself,  it may be the only currency left for
artists, emotionally speaking.

This attitude bugs a lot of people I've discovered but that's the only way
know how to keep going as things get tougher to make a living.

I know it's not a popular attitude anymore.   I'm aware that I"m out of
step
with reality................so be it.

If someone doesn't agree with me,  it's not going to change my mind on the
subject and I know from reading the responses to
a lot of this thread that there's no hope in changing anyone elses mind
about it either.

So be it.

Hope to see many of you at Y2K8 or on tour in Europe and Britiain this
summer.

respectfully,   just agreeing to disagree,    Rick