Re: The Eye is as Quick as The Hand

Per wrote:
"But musical aspects are obviously not the point here, which is sad.
The way Wired is writing implies that the point is to show the world
how "talented" the person is since he can play several instruments for
only two bars each. How lame."

I watched this video closely and it's very apparent that it isn't being
done
in real time.
When the lead vocals come in, the timbre shifts and it is suddenly,
perfectly compressed
and riding over the top..............at the end, when it is panned down
there are no controllers under his feet.

That being said and done,  I completely disagree with my dear and
respected
friend Per on his take on this.

I think it is extremely rare to find a musician who can not only write one
bar parts in a song that can continually
keep layering on without causing any timbral, rhythmic or harmonic
masking...........let alone the fact that this
guy is a wonderful singer;  a fantastic harmony singer,  a decent drummer,
percussionist, guitarist, bassist and pianist.

I think his talent is exceptional, despite the fact that he is doing very
simple overdub looping in the original piece (whether
done real time or not, doesn't even matter to me).

Such arrangement skills............such understanding of the physics of
music is just unbelievably rare in my estimation.

He may not be doing anything complex in terms of live looping but neither
did Miro in his set in Y2K6 and I thought his performance
was one of the most effective ones in the entire history of the live
looping
festivals that I've been part of.

It's very difficult to layer the 13 some odd loops that this guy did and
still make it work.

You think it's not true..........................just try
it..............try looping 13 layers on a pop song and not have it sound
like utter mush.
It is,  like writing an amazingly catchy pop song that worms it's way into
millions of listeners minds and ears..............a kind of
holy grail to me.   Many , many musicians put it down, but very few can
actually accomplish it.

Very, very fucking rare!

I applaud him and can't wait to see him play some
time...................anyone know how to get him to come play the loop
festivals?

Rick