kbyermusik - call for performers: BEMF3 (May 31st), Finloop (May 22nd)

Hi everyone,

it's time again: this is the official call for "virtual performers" for the
kybermusik events as part of Finloop (May 22nd) and Boise Experimental
Music
Festival III (May 31st).

A. DESCRIPTION:
---------------
kybermusik is the concept of two or more musicians playing together in
nearly real-time over an internet link. This works using a free software
called NinJam (www.ninjam.org), available for PC, Mac and Linux machines:
By rounding up the latency of the network connection to a "musically
meaningful" amount (e.g. four bars), you can play rhythmically in sync even
over a connection with latency.

Kybermusik's history started back in 2005 with a few first experimental
runs
together with our own Krispen Hartung. The first virtual concert with one
player in front of a live audience took place April 30th of 2006, Y2K6
Loopfest saw the "biggest of its kind" kybermusik event yet.
Apart from that, several projects have come of this idea, including Daryl
Shawn/Jim Gooding and their www.chinapaintingmusic.com project (they met at
the loopfest kybermusik session) and my collaborative "Quelques Papiers
D'Abord" album (http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/7494/, free download).

There will be

B. TERMINOLOGY:
---------------
Followingly, "live performers" are the performers in front of the live
audience (i.e. either Finloop or BEMF). "Virtual performers" are the people
who are linked via the internet to the session.

C. TECH RIDER:
--------------
So what do you need to do kybermusik?
You need a mediocre computer (see www.ninjam.com for recommendations) with
the operating system of your choice: Windows 2k or later, OS X, Linux.
An audio interface connected to and working on that computer which allows
you to connect your instruments and monitors to it (normally, every audio
interface should work, although the ones with native ASIO support are
preferrable).
A way to get your playing into the audio interface.
Access to a chat service (ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN) is not strictly
required but may be helpful.
An internet connection with low to mediocre bandwidth (128kbps outbound and
512kbps inbound are sufficient).

Testing It:
There are test servers at http://www.ninjam.com/jamfarm/index.php. The best
way to test your installation is to connect to these servers using the
Ninjam Client (you only need the client, not the server!) and see if it
works.

D. EVENTS:
----------
1. Finloop: http://www.alp.fi/finloop.html
Thursday May 22nd 2008, 19:00-21:00 local time (1600-1800 UTC)
Venue: Espoon kulttuurikeskuksen Louhi-Sali

This is a live looping festival, featuring among others our own Rick Walker
and Per Boysen. Expect the music to be loop-heavy (although it is not
required for the virtual performers to actually do looping themselves).

2. Boise Experimental Music Festival III:
http://www.boisemusicians.com/BEMF-3/
Saturday May 31st, 13:00-19:00 local time (1900-0100+ UTC)
Venue: The Record Exchange, Boise

As the name implies, an experimental music festival - not necessarily
looping, but it may happen and is not looked down upon. Playing in major or
minor scales or using II-V-I or IV-V-I chord progressions is. ;)

E. APPLICATION PROCESS:
-----------------------
Due to the fact that the performance events are approaching rapidly, I'd
like to ask applicants to apply NO LATER THAN May 4th (next Sunday). This
application must contain:
        * link to your website
        * short bio/description of act (may be contained on website)
        * music samples (may be contained on website)
        * which event you'd like to play ("both" is possible as an answer)
        * for which time slots you'd be available (always state time as
UTC.
Use www.timezoneconverter.com if and when in doubt)
        * a confirmation that you have succesfully tested the Ninjam
software in your setup as described in (C)

If you know of a "live performer" with whom you'd like to play together,
please do also state this preference.

Following that, I'll contact you in CW19 to assign a slot to you and also
tell you with whom you'll be paired (or trio'd) with.

Note that applications coming in late will only be considered if there are
still slots available!

So...thanks for your interest - and I'm gingerly waiting for your
applications.

Best,

        Rainer