Re: FAVORITE LIVE LOOPERS: a new list

--- "L.A. Angulo" <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...would it bother you loopers if somebody use
> delays only and not loop at a loop festival?or sing
> a song with minimum looping?

That would depend on how it was presented. Personally
(and considering it only in terms of musical
enjoyment) I don't care at all what techniques or
equipment a musician uses, and I find it pointless to
try to pigeonhole music or musicians by genre, style,
category, etc. except as a very general means of
description. And I also consider that ANY real-time
capture and playback of a performance DURING that
performance as PART of that performance might be
considered looping, and that is easily accomplished
with open-ended delay. (Just look at all the people
looping with DD-20s, for example.)

But at the same time I can understand how the promoter
(or an audience member) of an event specifically
intended to showcase a certain technique might be
irked if a performer billed as a looper didn't really
do any looping.

I personally see looping as a tool that may be used
(or not used) as required by the music, just as a
painter should not be obligated to use every color of
paint or every one of his brushes in every painting.
As an improvisational musician, I'm never exactly sure
in advance what the ratio of looping to non-looping is
going to be in a performance, and think it's pretty
silly to even think too much about it. But then again,
most of my performances are not at events specifically
billed as "looping festivals".

-t-

http://www.myspace.com/nimbletunes
http://cdbaby.com/all/timnelson