Echoplex -- Wanted: The optimum way to synch with the rhythm section or vice versa

Dear esteemed loopers:

What's the best way to stay synched with my rhythm
section when using the Echoplex?

I've scanned the archives (and the manual) and can't
seem to find what I'm looking for regarding synching,
although I'm sure it's there -- just in a form I can
decipher. I just got a new Echoplex (yes the
Musician's Friend sale), I had a Digitech Jamman
before. We were trying the Jamman in live situations
and it had its limits (for example, the rhythm section
had a hard time hearing the first loop, even if I
added only one overdub), so I have upgraded. I'm a
guitar player more than a techie, so please help me
understand the best -- and simplest -- way to stay
synched. I will usually lay down only one loop so that
I can play lead over a rhythm part -- so a fairly
simple and clean way to use the Echoplex. Here are the
three general options I see for assuring we, the band,
stay synched. Which of the following three would you
suggest is best for the Echoplex in the live setting?

1. First idea: Have some kind of machine (what kind is
best/simplest?) acting as a metronome. The machine
sends a click to the drummer and the bass player, who
maybe use in the ear monitors. The machine also sends
a click to the Echoplex and keeps it in time with the
machine. If this is the option you suggest, which of
synch options do I use on the Echoplex -- I got
confused by all the variations.

2. Second idea: Basically the reverse of the above. I
lay down a loop and it sends an eighth note click to
in the ear monitors, so they rhythm section stays in
time with the loop.

3. Third idea: Somehow split the first loop from the
overdubs, so that I can have a monitor (standard or in
the ear, since no click involved) for the drummer and
bass player that is playing only the first loop so
they can clearly hear it.

I realize this is really basic or has been covered
before. I appreciate anyone who can help me out with this.

Be a better friend, newshound, and