Re: Is using Pre-Recorded Loops Cheating?

buzap@gmx.net schrieb:
> here is a topic I find quite controversial: When doing live looping,
>  do you find it uncool/immoral if you see somebody performing with
> some pre-recorded loops?

No, why?....

I love cheating. Musicians are a sort of magicians anyway. Everybody
knows magicians are cheating in a virtuoso way...

I think its more about taking a risk. If you need the prerecorded loops
to do your magic, well you need them. If you do it because you want to
avoid a risk, the audience will recognize and its just boring, but not
because of the "cheating" because of the lack of a risk...

info at zoekeating schrieb:
> i've noticed that some performers have a fixation with 'perfection'
> and sometime use pre-recorded material to lessen the chance of things
> going wrong onstage. i've seen audiences get bored with them. in my
> experience, audiences love what i call 'well-executed mistakes'

I don't think its the mistakes, but they happen and the way you deal
with imperfection is the part where real perfection can slip in, its
like the link to the higher level of music which is between the notes. A
secured performance can never be perfect, there is no space between the
notes...

Berlioz knew it already, the music is between the notes...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------