Re: is using pre-recorded loops Cheating

The thing is, when people play a repetitive phrase, it's never quite the same despite their best intentions, which is what adds a lot of complexity to early Reich/Glass minimalism.  Each part is varying slightly with each rep.

And it's been a while since I read the "Kind of Blue" book, but my recollection is that they didn't use tape loops on "In A Silent Way", but did edits on the master tape, including repeating one three-minute section at the beginning of IASW.  Were there tape loops in the studio while the musicians were playing?

TH