RE: Looping Beginner Seeks Help

Hi spacemonkey

glad to have another member in our tribe!!

theres loads of good advice on paticualr setups in the archive so I will try and give you a more Philisophical take on advice.

To me...Looping is largely about being creative within a very specific and uniqie set of constraints.

For me this is a blessing, the more "constants" I can pin down the more I can consentrate on being creative with the remaining variables.

to that end, there is already a great method for creating music with many layers of multiple instumentation involving traditional verse/prechorus/chorus/bridge formats using dynamic presentation methods such as variations in tempo.....I believe its called A BAND !!! ;)

I'm sorry if that sounds negative, its really really not...I have spent many years trying to find one man band  looping solutions to all of the same ideas you are having.

some are solved relativly easy, some are darn near impossible....non can be done with just one piece of equipment that I know of.
I am not trying to rain on your parade and would LOVE to see you realise all of your aspirations (hell Id buy the same setup) I just want to give you an idea of how intrinsically difficult  what you are aiming for will be.

as my looping has progressed i have been through MANY stages of evolution form delay to 5 seconds of hold to a boss looper with no multiply or etra functions, to a DL4 which adds in reverse and half speed to my first edp (was happy for a while)

this then led to a second edp for vocals and then i still wanted to add multiple sond structures such as verses and chorus....edp 3.

I then added midi guitar to solve the narrow range of tones i had (only 16 regular guiat fx to bend by tone hehe) this left the rhythem section lagging to i broke away from guitar only into a handsonic for precussion and a micro korg synth....etc etc etc

I dare not even THINK how much all this has cost, i love every pennys worth but I still cant tempo change on the fly and the routing for my equipment looks like black-spaggatti-hell but its there!!

AND HERS THE RUB, my setup is so complex that if im very honest withmyself and you, i probably enjoy it a bit LESS then back in the simple Guitar>Zoom> DL4>amp days, even though I could do a lot less with it

these days many are going the software route and should imagine this would be a very valid area for a new starter such as your self to invest as things WILL always get better.

anyways, thats enough from me, most of all have fun

Phill MyOneManBand