Re: fate of the EDP (was: Slightly OT--Splice 'em up FX Pedal (other than Echoplex)?

   Hi Stefan, if you're running a Mac, you can press command (the
Apple key) and F5 (you may need to include the FN key as well) and
voiceOver (the Apple screen reader; built into Tiger / Leopard) will
activate.  What it does is to allow a visually impaired user to
navigate / use their computer via the keyboard, as well as describing
the screen layout / content to the user with a synthesized voice.

   So in the case of using looping or recording software or audio
plugins or such, ideally, you want to be able to tell which loop or
track you're in, you also need to be able to find appropriate buttons
or controls on the screen all without sight, as well as be able to
edit or influence all of that on the fly.  For the most part,
VoiceOver allows one to do this on most software, however, as I
mentioned, most audio software developers tend to use more customized
buttons or controls that VO can't always see or interact with.  So it
can render such software either extremely difficult to use, or
altogether impossible in some cases.

   So can you tell me a bit more about what you're suggesting?  I'd
love to learn more about it, if you wouldn't mind.  :)

   If it can use a standard Apple Cocoa interface for the GUI, then it
should be good to go!  :)

   thanks so much for your thoughtful reply!  Have a terrific weekend!…

Smiles,

Cara  :)

On May 30, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Stefan wrote:

> Cara Quinn schrieb:
>> Being visually impaired, believe it or not, most audio recording /
>> effects processing software on the Mac is currently notoriously bad
>> at being accessible with the Mac screen reading software.  So, for
>> me, unfortunately, hardware is still the best option.
>
> That means a customized Max/MSP version which gives you exactly the
> feedback you actually need would be an option.
>
> I don't know what your VoiceOver software does, but if you need
> audible feedback into an extra pair of headphones, that wouldn't be
> a problem to achieve...
>
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Tiedje------------x-------