Now OT: Yahoogroups (was Re: modifying the FCB1010)

At 1:42 AM -0400 6/29/08, Todd Pafford wrote:
>Me too, but if that's where the discussion is, I'll swallow my pride
>and put up with it.  How can such a big name in the internet industry
>make stuff that sucks so much?  :/

Well, I'd say they don't make stuff that sucks so much, because they
don't make stuff.

Instead, they buy up other start-ups (in this instance, e-groups and
onelist) in order to drive up their perceived value and hence their
stock price.  Then, rather than build on those start-up's
technologies and force innovation, they merely let them languish and
go buy up more start-ups.  When things start to look like they can't
build on them any more, the top guys just cash in their stock options
and bail.

It's not about technological innovation, or even excellence in
service.  It's about money and merely playing a big game to get ahead.

To be fair, large companies are almost forced to behave in this
manner once they go public.  There's this huge chunk of fickle
investors/shareholders who only buy and sell your public stock to
line their own pockets.  If you can't sell them on the idea that
you're going to make them money, they'll dump you like a hot potato
and your stock value goes into the gutter; as well as any perceived
market value and future sales.  These stockholders could give a d***
about whether you're actually making stuff that doesn't suck.  They
only want you to make them cash.

Yahoo used to be the darling of the Internet, now it's Google.
Pretty soon, Google should succumb to the same suckage factor and
somebody else will take their place.  The wheel turns, the top dog
gets chopped up and fed to the runts....

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of