Re: Echoplex Digital Pro Plus

Any piece of electrical equipment will be affected by dust to some degree or another.  The EDP switches were carefully selected for a number of reasons: fast response, acoustically quiet, short throw, easy to replace, inexpensive to purchase, readily available.  The downside is that they are more prone to dirt getting in them.  Usually you can spray some contact cleaner in the switch and work it a few dozen times and that'll clean them out.  Eventually, they do fail and will need to be replaced--the Record, Overdub, Nextloop and Multiply are probably going to wear out first because they get used more.  The switches are about 50 cents each though, and can be replaced by anyone with minimal soldering ability.  Strings break, reeds need replacing, tubes wear out, and EFC switches will eventually go bad.  Yours may have been already somewhat used if you bought a returned unit from MF.

All other replacement switches have their own drawbacks--cost, acoustically loud, long throw, etc, but if you decide to go that route the EFC-7 is very easy to work on.  The only switches I'd consider are the type that I've seen on Mesa/Boogie footswitches (the non-clicking ones), but I believe they're literally ten times as expensive ($5 each).

Personally, "the mountains" are not where I'd take any electrical music equipment.  Consumer level stuff isn't really designed for that.

TH