Re: Semi-OT: Int'l Travellers' Laptops Confiscated...

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
> Here's a bit of a caution for those International travellers
>(specifically
> Laptop Loopers) coming into the US.  It looks like the Department of
> Homeland Security has now begun taking it upon itself to confiscate and
> rifle through the data on some passengers' laptops, as well as storage
> devices.  Details from the Houston Chronicle here:
>
>        http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/5918770.html
>
> Granted, it's probably a longshot that you'll get tapped for such a
>search.
>  But if you're coming into the US from a foreign country, it's best to
>know
> the risks up front and plan accordingly.
>
>        --m.

Well, I always bring my looping setup on both a USB stick and CD, just in
case.

I think it's fair to let security go through random passengers
electronic data. I'd rather take that than a bomb up my ass. But...

That announcement by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff
would make for a good laugh it was in a Monty Python sketch! But since
it is a real world document it brings the question of what people
really are in charge over there? I mean, as examples for the threat
they have deliberately chosen words as "violent jihadist materials". A
much better phrasing would have been to say "terrorist action
material". Jihad is an Arabic word with the Islamic meaning "striving
in the name of Allah". I think it's really sad that people in such a
leading position still act in such a prejudiced way. You could almost
believe that a hidden meaning of the document is to spread bad vibes
about Arabic speaking countries and the religion Islam in particular!
About a thousand years ago the Christians on this continent set out to
concur in the name of god - I was hoping we were done with that kind
of stupidity on this planet.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen