Re: Optimizing Windows for looping

Hi Charlie,

I don't have vista, I'm running windows xp. My biggest tip is to make
sure you turn off iTunes if you have it installed. For some reason
iTunes is always running. If you bring up the Windows task manager,
you can safely turn off "iPodService.exe" and "iTunesHelper.exe." That
will noticeably reduce the CPU load. The other program to watch for is
Open Office. If you do a default installation, Open Office will always
run in the background sucking CPU cycles. I'm sure there are other
applications that do this as well, but those were the two trouble
makers on my computer.

I noticed that the windows xp music tuning page
http://www.musicxp.net/dnn/ now requires a log in. I found the advice
on the page useful, and it's probably worth following their
recommendations. I was surprised though that none of the things that
page recommended dropped the processor load as much as simply turning
off iTunes.

By and large, Windows XP is actually pretty well set up for music. Good
Luck!

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net