Re: "What Might Future Digital Notation Look Like?"

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Dennis Moser <sinsofmachaut@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hehe ... Per, I respectfully disagree.
>
> The boxes change and, often, disappear with time. Notation is a means of
> transcending time (what Alfred Korzibski might have described as a
> "time-binding" mechanism) when you have the appropriate context.
>
> The study of how to share "the essence" of a musical presentation is one
>of
> significant historical importance and thinking back to our recent
> discussions about "unplugged looping", this should spark some
> soul-searching.

Sure! But you do disagree with what I did not say!  ;-))  I said that
I don't see a point with notation "in the digital world". But notation
is not for the digital world - it is for humans! I for one would hail
a way to bring over "the essence" of music, since I totally rely on my
own ontological system for dealing with music. Although imperfect,
notation still is one of our times most fascinating time machines!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)