Re: "What Might Future Digital Notation Look Like?"

2008/8/6 mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>

 Even though classical music is often scored and is composed "on paper",  just like Electronica or Metal or any other form of music, it is the "Sound" or "Timbre" that REALLY makes the music live, the "Sound" of the performance, as in a classical concert OR the EQ /effects, and real tube amp distortion, in the other genres I mention.

i'm pretty sure that colleagues i told before are quite against that.

also not every metal is scored on paper, at least before the album recording! ;-) after that, lots of publications put out the tabs and scores .. nor do the electronica have a complete description when written it down. have you seen the score for the tape in a contemporary/electronica ensemble? it's representation is quite vague, minimal just as a guide for the other performers in the group ...

I remind you of my analogy to what we see when we read a book... Think about it, when you see "the film of the book" that you have previously read, how many of us have been disappointed as to in "not being how we imagined". No.. Im not saying these kids hear it "like Mozart intended", however they ARE hearing something.. maybe just the melody, or the melody with "some kinda harmonic backing".

yes. i think so.

I dont know the answer to this though... I am asking a genuine question... maybe i will ask these kids one day.

they'll know better than us.

Personally I can only "read" music as in EGBDF or FACE.. and dont know what melody it will be untill I press those keys on my piano. (And, due to the "unconventional" tuning on my piano, I can't be sure then... )

m.

--
The Playing Orchestra: http://www.telefonica.net/web2/tpo
Chain Tape Collective: http://www.ct-collective.com