Re: a bit OT-- B!!! It just rocks! (Re: Just got this video into YouTube)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Dave Gallaher <micdave@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> One of the great discoveries of my cornet-playing days was pulling the
> tuning slide out until the normal Bb pitching became A.  (This works
>better
> on a cornet's conical bore than on a trumpet's tubular bore, btw).
> dave

That was interesting to hear! I had to do a similar trick with a remix
of choir music I was commissioned for. I was sent multi track
recordings of the choir but they had been recording too low. They sang
somewhere down at 439 instead of at 440, so when I was going to record
alto flute I had to pull out the mouthpiece optimally. The flute did
hit the correct "bad" pitch but it gave a completely different feel to
play.

> Too bad it won't work the same way by extending the tenor mouthpiece...

Well, on the other hand I think one of the most fun part of playing
reed (and wind) instruments, compared to guitars, is that  these
instrument goes through a much bigger change when used in another key.
What might be problematic in a band arrangement situation can be pure
inspiration if you play in a music context that allows you to change
melodies and stuff to take advance of how the air bounces inside the
sax in that other key - or how the mechanics work differently in
another key.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen