fx VS. clean. WAS: Plug-ins, effects - what's in your basic tool box?

i rely on the clean sound of the instrument and focus with functions each looper has to offer, formerly. then when i reckon i've gone *quite* far with the looper+clean instrument, it's time to test some effect chains.

anyway, i use to like more the clean stuff normally. it reveals more of the looper (the machine/application) soul than when using a lot of coloring effects.

massive effects more interesting when used in short parts  among/sorrounded by instrument (better said, yOUr tone) /looper.

so for me it's more like: still practising your instrument, since al last, that's what people will see when performing.
but now, the looper is part of your instrument. so practise/develop combined techniques with the toy.

... o.k. i'm going to bed immediatelly.

raul.

2008/8/12 Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM,  <kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com> wrote:

> I use an input strip with insert effects:
>
> Reverb, Delay Modeler, Overdrive, Chorus, Phaser, Ring Modulation
>
> Currently I send to four instances of "Double Delay" and a Surround Reverb.
>  Each Send is routed through an independent panner.

I'd like to listen to that at a good surround speaker concert! Over
here I use only insert effects, no send effects. The reason is that I
think that gives me more control to create all kinds of synthetic
ambience by looping techniques. I do have mega huge reverb etc but
only as part an input channel strip. I use twenty input channel
stripes that I can swap between by foot pedals, with a "preserve
reverb tail" functionality when going from one patch into another. So
I can call up a certain sound patch just for one note if needed.
Inside some channel stripe's there are local send effect loops,
though. I look at these twenty sound options as colors and the looper
as the canvas. A canvas that can also be deformed (looping techniques
as pitch, rate and obscure scripting) to change the viewers
perspective on whatever I put on the canvas.

There are some effect plug-ins that already include advanced signal
patching and I have two favorites here, both from AudioDamage: Discord
v2 and Ronin. Discord offers good pitch shifting combined with delay
and the delay can be tapped and led back to the input as effect loop.
Can give some Eventide-ish sound, typically escalating/diving delay
repeats. Ronin also has some filters and an input envelope, which
means you may assign the level of any sound input to parameters,
typically having the input lowering the feedback from 100% to 30% in a
looper - maybe that fix can be called "an auto looper"? If you don't
play at all the last noise you did make will loop for ever but every
sound you make will duck the loop and fit into a sound pocket of its
own size.

AudioDamage sells a very good tape delay simulating plug-in that I'm
interested in. Logic can do that kind of dubby stuff, but I don't have
a good solution for that on the Mobius PC nor on non-logic looping in
OS X either (you can do it in Ableton Live too with its built-in
stuff, but I'd rather prefer hosting plug-ins in Bidule on OS X as
well as XP.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen