Re: DOES YOUR TOURING RIG DIFFER FROM YOUR HOME RIG?

It was such a treat to hear you work that big rig, Michael. When the
next East Coast fest happens, even if it's not in Pitt I hope we can
find a way for you to get this stuff there.

My rig is the same, I just carry the same two cassette decks, though I
now have a couple punch-in pedals scattered in safe houses as they're
heavy for their size. Last year for Y2k, I went for convenience and used
a different Tascam and a new Dictaphone, and found it very frustrating
not to have the same setup I've spent so many hours getting to know.

On my summer tour, I cut way back on clothing and just did laundry every
week, saving suitcase space for gear. Even so, inevitability one
accumulates crap on the road, so for flights I'd take a really large
laptop bag plus the Traveler and a small box as carry-ons. I put all the
heaviest things (cables, pedals, etc) in these carry-ons, since there's
no weight check and my suitcase was maxed out. I think it's key to make
use of the travel-on allowance.

I'm using the little Traveler guitar for live work now, and thus am now
using it from home for Ninjam sessions, just so I can depend on knowing
the same setup wherever I'm playing. For me, anyway, I need to have the
same deal. So if I make any future additions to my home rig, I'll be
planning to have it be portable.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com