Re: Tapping into your musical/improvisational ideas and skills for my classroom!

One thing I like to do when I teach beginner guitar lessons is play a recorded beat with a base line, say, in the key of C and then have the student "solo" using a C and Bb.  I emphasize tempo and demonstrate how there are many variations one can achieve with just two tones.  With more people in the mix you could add a 4th, 5th, maj 3rd.

Sometimes we put down the guitar and I'll stomp out a 1/4 note tempo with my feet and then drum rhythms on my thighs.  I have them produce 1/4th, 1/8th, or 1/16th note variations.

They naturally start producing patterns that modulate every 4 or 8 measures, just like what they hear in popular music.

They're not even close to mastering a scale on the fretboard, but they can keep time with their hands or just two notes, use musical creativity, and jam out.

^|>^m