Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: yesterday's performance with responsive video animation

sure!

Ableton Live and 3 instances of SooperLooper.

The parts that I "sample" (i.e. record and then playback without overdubs) I do inside Ableton Live.
The parts that I "loop" (i.e. classic overdub, layering thing we all love) I do inside SooperLooper.

Certain sections of the song, I automate the recording and playback using sequenced midi notes in Live. So Live plays a note and that note triggers a function (like record, or mute, or overdub) either in Live or SooperLooper.

Certain sections I do all the functions with my feet.

Depending on how things are going onstage, I go back and forth between more or less automation or foot-control.

All the "looping" parts used to be done in my Electrix Repeaters. I did manage to get SooperLooper to do it for this piece, but I'm having a hard time getting SooperLooper to make the same length loop and play it back in sync every time. Even automating the recording by firing a midi clip, it can still be slightly off. To get around that annoyance for this song, I "faked" the sync by having Live rhythmically fade out the SooperLooper tracks and give emphasis on downbeats! That way, no matter what SooperLooper was doing, I'd always have a pulse in the right place! Kludgy.

That's the last barrier for me now, how to make SooperLooper reliably loop in time.