Re: mini review: BOSS SL-20 SLICER/LOOPER pedal

CHRIS SEWELL wrote:
"I have been tempted. But it seems like it has such a distinctive sound. I
can just imagine "that sound" permeating music for the next 6 months then
disappearing. Much like the Adrenilinn did."

Yeah, Chris,  I actually thought of this before I bought it,  although I
have to say, that
innovation, timbrally, in music always goes through the curve of
phenonmenal
and brand new,   used a lot,  over used,  abandoned.
(and I want to throttle the next R&B/hip hop producer who forces the 'Cher
Antares Autotune Wobble' onto another young
female vocalist).

The first time I heard Andre LaFosse creating tiny guitar loops and then
playing them or sequencing them
from a drum machine it was astonishing,  I had never heard it before,  but,
after time,  one gets used to a
sound and decides whether it is 'old news'   or 'classic'  in terms of
their
expanding repertoire.
I still use that technique though (as does Andre, brilliantly) and keep
finding new ways to make it sound interesting.

Many the time we've seen analogue synths come into vogue,  get overused in
pop music, dissapear and then
resurface 10-15 years as the 'latest thing'.

But, if you think of it, the Viola da Gamba was an incredible innovation
for
bowed string players, then
it was replaced by the Viola in popularity.

Personally, my attempt to circumvent this phenomenae is to continually be
trying to learn new instruments,
new techniques and then to attempt to innovate new techniques on the
instruments I"m playing.

I'm fairly certain that I will be the first and last person to strike a
brass candy dish with my thumb;  manipulate
the overtones rhythmically,  slice it with the SL-20 slicer,  loop it,
rerecord it into the Electrix
Repeater and then play it melodically over three octaves with a Yamaha WX-5
wind synthesizer.

I think with all equipment,  creativity is the final arbiter of whether
something is useful or not.

If worse comes to worse, I, as an incredibly technically mediocre guitarist
(and two day old fretless guitarist.......lol)
can use this thing to get guitar textures that sound fantastic when I put
drums, bass and some kind of lead instrument
over the top...............and quickly at that.

But it might not be the instrument for you  as I respect fully.