AW: mini review: Korg KP3

> Anyone else want to review the KAOSS PAD 3 as a looping device?
> It's just fantastic for re sampling and loop stuff we've done

Hi Rick,

there's a comparison of a few different Kaoss devices here:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200802/msg00005.html

and info on the KP3 software 2.0 here:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200802/msg00015.html

There's also a video demo (sw version 1.x):
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-4135927290013891493
referenced here:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200706/msg00438.html

and here's a review of the KP3 (sw version 1.x):
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200706/msg00339.html

The short 411 from a looper's perspective:

* No "first loop capability" (samples of arbitrary length are only possible
for oneshot samples)
* no true overdub, but resampling can be used as a faux overdub
* maximum loop length (per slot): around 13s (it's 16 beats down to above
73bpm, then it halves to 8 beats etc.)
* FX release and a short record function for pad movements are great
enhancements over the KP2
* a big letdown: you can't pan samples, and you can't put them (or the live
signal) pre/post FX: it's always pre FX
* loop storage on SD card. Cumbersome process of storing/loading loops and
proprietary format (i.e. no WAV/AIFF files)

loop length (let's say double the amount) and the possibility to
selectively
route the slots and the live signal to the FX, then it would be extremely
cool.

        Rainer