Re: Musica Optica 2007

I was in a instrumental band that always played with video projections behind us.  We could never see them at all (too close to the screen, too busy playing) and they were always randomly thrown up there by the video operator (three super-8 projectors, two slide projectors, lots of found images and film spliced together), and after every gig people would come up and ask how we synchronized the video and music so well.

It was frequently hard to convince them that it was all random, since they were certain that the changes they saw and heard were planned out by us.

There's a term for the mind's tendency to find these sort of connections where there aren't any, but I can't recall it right now.

TH