Maybe OT--editing of film

Saw a great special the other day on how movies changed when editing came
along.  How cutting from this and that was able to elicit feeling better
than just a big screen "home movie".  My question to this esteemed group
is:
Is there a parallel to this in music?  can we experience different
"locations" in music in the same piece?

I seem to think that classical music does this with various movements but
is
this really equivalent?  Have other artists pursued this question (I
assume
some more minimalists have).

~peace~

Plish