Re: elec gtr setup - to simplify

That video is on my "to do" list!  :)

One thing that I realized when went all laptop is that I was never going
get the exact tone and feel of a tube amp.  I had to embrace the principle
that I was fundamentally transforming my guitar tone, my personal
philosophy
on gear, and my performance rig to system to something that was not better
or worse, but something very different.  I realized that if got too hung
up
and obsessed on trying to emulate old gear and ways of thinking that I
would
never be satisfied and not truly transforming, but clinging to my old
habits.  Moving to the laptop requires embracing change, for better or
worse.  Doing this allowed me to dispense with a lot of arbitrary
preconceptions that I had beforehand, such as the view that tube guitar
amps
create better tone, or that analog or rackmount effects sound better than
VST (which are clearly a subjective and non-factual statements).  I
eventually realized that my preferences were not nearly as fine tuned and
rigid as I had thought, and that over time I can get used to something
different and eventually like it more.

Consequently, I can't guarantee that moving to the laptop will produce a
tube amp sound - it likely will NOT - but it is a fundamental
transformation
to something different, and now I have grown so accustomed to my new
sound,
that I find the sound of a tube amp un-appealing and "weird" sounding. We
are creatures of habit. If we can break out of this paradigm and evolve to
something different, we may find ourselves just as gratified over time.
So,
these days, I like to change the conditions under which we compare
rackmount/pedal/amp systems with laptop systems, and not try to compare
apples with apples, but view it as a transformation to something
different.
Because when I see the countless post from people asking about VSTs or
software that will do what their hardware does, I can almost sense the
personal urgency, fear,  and "clinginess" to the notion of emulating old
ways with new technologies.  The very idea of moving from hardware to
software, and expecting simulation of old habitual tones, is now staring
feel fundamentally contradictory and counter-productive to me.

So, all I can say, practically speaking, is try taking the loop to all
laptop and give it some time. Don't feel discouraged if you can't get your
exact hardware tones or configurations at the outset - this will be a
natural human response to trying something. Experiment and eventually you
may discover something new and different that will grown on you and become
part of your new musical personality.  It's all about personal evolution,
think, not serial phases of "revolution" around the same preconceptions.

Okay, I guess this is what a long walk to the pub and a few ales will do
me. :)

Kris