Re: AW: elec gtr setup - to simplify

I like Krispin's take on the situation. Myself, I took yet another option:
stop using effects, especially distortion. As a looper, I have been very
inspired by what Zoe is doing on the cello, and it's made me look long and
hard at what I've been doing/trying to do on the guitar. And there are
others playing electric guitar and just going direct; Metheny and
McLaughlin come immediately to mind. Plus, the older I get the less
interested I am in distorion in any event.

The end result is that I'm no longer using effects at all (except for
reverb on the mains), and I'm also considering dropping the whole MIDI
guitar synth thing (although still considering the pros and cons of using
the GR-300...while I think it's artistically valid, it's just more gear to
hump). And I've been playing my acoustic more than I have in years, and
discovering all it's secret noises for loop fodder.

Of course I'm not about to sell my hand-wired tube amps or the
GR-300/G-505 or even the GK-20. For studio stuff I'll use anything in my
bag. But I've got a bunch of other gadgetry that is due to go on eBay as
soon as I get motivated.

-George

--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill