Re: AW: elec gtr setup - to simplify

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Dan Ash wrote:

I'm not sure whether this dimension of the discussion has been highlighted in this thread - if so, please forgive me...

In my case, I much prefer the sound of my 'real' tube amp with or without a pedalboard full of effects to any of the modeling systems I have tried.  I like the way the sound is localized on stage, and to my mind, I have found the best tone ever.

However...

When using my looping rig, I use a modeling amp (Line6 PodXT or Johnson J-Station) through a full-range PA (in stereo when practical).  It's a trade off that I feel is necessary to eliminate the need for an open mic onstage or a line output from the amp, neither of which ever seems completely satisfying.

I think most of us feel this way.  Who hates a great tube amp?  However, what if you're like me and your only rig is a looping rig?  You loop with...

Finally, I'm working on a laptop solution which will eventually eliminate the hardware-based modeling amp - Amplitube II seems to be as good as any of them and I got a license for stupid-cheep.  I see the looping rig hardware components pared down to a guitar, an Axon AX100 MKII controller, footcontroller and a laptop (and a full-range PA, of course).

Works like charm.  Actually I did a lot of comparisons and I'd say that what ever algorithm IK Multimedia's using for their amps seems ages beyond the competition.   I really love it, but I wish the routing flexibility of their new X-Gear software was a little better and it had MIDI control that didn't suck.  Actually, I wish it was the amp models of Amplitube with the functionality of Guitar Rig.  Right now my work around is to sometimes not use it's "rack" effects and instead load up KORE 2 as an effect after it.  Crazy sounds to be had there.  Sure I might be able to get something better with a boutique tube amp and some Eventides, but frankly I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something that doesn't house me or make me money.