Re: DJ techniques in live looping (Re: video on loop turntablism) - also for Jeff Larson!

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar
Straschill <rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:
> Hey Per and Aaron (and also Jeff Larson btw),

>> hand knobs to twist. Anther DJ technique I'm relying on in
>> looping is the crossover mixer. I keep pre defined fades as
>
> Actually, Ableton Live implements a crossfader functionality (if that's
>what
> you're hinting at with "crossover mixer"),

No, I'm hinting at the technique. A typical DJ mixer has a cross over
fader between the two turntables and if you watch a DJ's hands at work
you can see how he jumps between the two turntables with this cross
fader while changing the "source sound" (moving the disc or replacing
it) on the turntable that is not on-line at the moment. Ableton is one
by many that have borrowed this concept. With loopers we may use more
than two sources for cross fading though.

>> The typical DJ filtering (punching in and out different
>> slices of the frequency range) is something I use in other
>> contexts and have been missing with my live looping rig
>> (laptop running Mobius hosted in
>> Bidule) but I just found a new VST plug-in that may finally help me
>> out:
>
> Again, Ableton Live has a plugin called "EQ3" which is a kind of DJ EQ:
> 3-band graphic eq, selectable crossover frequencies and filter steepness
>and
> kill switches for all three bands.

Yes, certainly! That's one of my favorite plug-ins of Live's! But you
have to run it inside Live! The new free VST I recommended is a little
different: It is a sweep knob filter that automatically changes from
low pass, through band pass and into high pass mode depending on where
on the scale the knob is positioned. I think that is a great design
and if it is stable and works well it will be of great value to me.

Sorry that I left out some information, but I'm intending to keep my
posts short and adequate, so people can click a link to learn more
about something I mention - if they have the interest.

Over and out.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen