Re: Ableton Live 5 question

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Mark Smart <marksmartus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to get Ableton 5 to perform two different functions in
> response to one external MIDI note? I would like to hit one note and
>have it
> start playing scene 3 at the same time as it starts recording into scene
>3
> slot 3. I know you can set an option where it will always start
>recording on
> all armed tracks when you switch to a new scene, but I would like to have
> multiple tracks armed at all times, while only recording into one of them
> when the scene starts.

But, even if you should assign a MIDI note directly to the specific
slot, to record into, (instead of to the scene trigger slot on the
master track) you would have to set the track into record armed mode!
No recording can ever happen unless the track is record armed.

> Also, is there a way to get a function in Ableton 5 to be triggered by
>more
> than one note from the outside, i.e. "do this function if I play an F4 on
> channel 14 OR if you get a MIDI CC #10 message on channel 14"?

Yes, but not directly. What you can do is to not bind your MIDI events
directly to the functions/commands in Live but to certain
"function/command controlling MIDI clips" that you may create. Inside
those clips you can put the MIDI events that are assigned to trigger
the function/command and then you either set the output to the IAC Bus
(if using Mac OS X. But there's a third-party solution for Windows as
well).

Related:
In Live 7 it is possible to assign a MIDI event to many functions/commands.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)