Re: OT- literature

I heartily endorse Dick, although the final trilogy was a bit of a
slog (another great glimpse of oncoming dementia, for those
interested, is Doris Lessing's Briefing for a Descent into Hell. Not
for the fainthearted - almost as grim as the first Tori Amos record).
As far as Valis goes, I actually like Todd Machover's opera much
better than the book. For Pynchon, although G.R. is the magnum opus,
The Crying of Lot 49 is a small and hilarious masterpiece. And as far
as greatest American novels, Jeremy, how could you leave out Lolita (I
highly recommend "The Annotated Lolita", so you can get all the
multilingual puns)?

Warren