AN ARTICLE IN THE NEW YORK TIMES THAT MENTIONS LOOPING (AT LEAST BRIEFLY)

A Man of Many Talents, Eager to Use Them All

By ALLAN KOZINN

EARLY this summer Caleb Burhans cleared his performance calendar for
the first time since 2001, when he graduated from the Eastman School of
Music in Rochester and moved to New York City. He wasn’t taking a
vacation, exactly. Lincoln Center and Alarm Will Sound, a new-music
orchestra in which he plays violin, had commissioned him to write a
work to be performed in March as part of the reopening festivities at
Alice Tully Hall, and Mr. Burhans resolved to do nothing but compose.

Well, sort of. He set aside his weekly bread-and-butter job, singing as
a countertenor in the Trinity Choir on Sunday mornings, and turned down
pickup orchestra gigs.

But at the Bang on a Can Marathon in June, he played his “No,” for
violin and electronics, and performed with Alarm Will Sound and another
new-music group, Signal. He also performed with Signal at the Ojai
Music Festival in California. And in a three-day stretch in August, in
New York, he sang with two chamber choirs (also conducting one of
them), played and sang in a pop theater piece and gave a concert with
itsnotyouitsme, his ambient rock duo.

And when his Sept. 1 deadline arrived, the industrious Mr. Burhans not
only had completed his work for Lincoln Center, “oh ye of little faith
... (do you know where your children are?),” but had started two more
pieces as well.

At 28, Mr. Burhans has pursued a career path so logical that it seems
almost foolproof. Just sing, compose and master several instruments
(besides the violin he plays viola, guitar, bass, keyboards and
percussion) and the New York freelance world is your oyster. But this
is a new development. Until recently, the conventional wisdom went,
musicians with diverse talents should specialize: decide whether they
are better suited to composing or performing, singing or playing an
instrument, working in classical music or a variety of pop.

And while most young musicians still make the traditional choices and
scramble to find work in freelance ensembles until they have
established themselves as recitalists or chamber players, others are
seeking to diversify. Mr. Burhans’s generation is the third to come of
age during the rock era, and where conservatories once taught only
classical music, most now offer courses and even degrees in jazz and
rock, recording technology and the music industry itself. And musicians
who grew up hearing everything from Mozart and Ligeti to Wilco and
Radiohead are less inclined than their elders to compartmentalize their
passions.

“I was always told, when I was a kid, that you have to decide at some
point what it is you want to do,” Mr. Burhans said one afternoon early
in his composing break. “And I thought, that’s cool. I’m going to
school and study violin, viola and composition, and I’m playing in jazz
and rock bands, and when I move to New York, that will decide it for
me. People will see what I’m best at, and that’s what I’m going to do.

“But when I got here, I actually did the opposite. I kept doing them
all, and I love it. The variety keeps me on my toes, creatively.”

  A film about Mr. Burhans would be a cross between “Zelig” and
“Amadeus.” In New York’s trendy new-music world, he is everywhere,
working with just about everybody as both performer and composer. His
name stands out on a roster, and if you’ve heard him as a violinist,
guitarist, bassist or mandolinist in a new-music group, it can be
puzzling to find him listed among the choristers at Trinity Church or
as a member of the disco band Escort or the techno ensemble Bleknlok.

But there’s no mistaking him. He’s the one with the short, sometimes
spiky hair, retro eyeglasses, black nail polish and earring.

As new as Mr. Burhans’s career approach is, he is hardly an anomaly.
Seven other musicians in Alarm Will Sound also compose. Several have
rock bands as well. And the number of musicians with fingers in both
classical and pop seems to be growing.

Lev Zhurbin, a young violist and composer who works under the name
Ljova, has largely given up his chamber ensemble jobs now that his
composing career has taken off. He performs most often with his
genre-crossing ensembles, the Kontraband and Romashka, both of which
draw on classical pop and world music.

Christina Courtin, a Juilliard-trained violinist, plays in orchestras
but is also a pop singer-songwriter with her own band and an album
coming from Nonesuch. And Brooklyn Rider, a string quartet that
sometimes accompanies Ms. Courtin — and that, like Ms. Courtin, plays
in the Knights, a chamber orchestra — performs a repertory that tilts
toward new music, sometimes with multicultural strands.

“Playing different kinds of music is something young musicians
increasingly have to do,” said Justin Kantor, a 29-year-old cellist and
the proprietor of Le Poisson Rouge, a new Greenwich Village club that
offers both pop and classical performances. “And besides, it’s fun.”

Role models are few for musical switch-hitters. Leonard Bernstein, who
balanced conducting, composing, piano playing and multimedia lecturing,
is one. So are Steve Reich and Philip Glass, who early in their careers
revived the 19th-century notion of the touring composer-performer,
leading their own ensembles in programs devoted to their works when
there was no other way to get them played.

“My goal (when I was 14) was to move to NYC and play/sing for Philip,”
Mr. Burhans wrote in an e-mail message. “That didn’t really work out (I
work with Steve Reich instead, which is cool by me ...) but I’ve always
held up Philip and Steve as models of the do-it-yourself way of
approaching music.”

But in an interview a few weeks later, he noted a significant
difference between himself and those composers.

“It’s different for me because I thrive on doing other people’s music
as well as my own. And if I didn’t have those outlets, I don’t know
what my music would be like. I’m so influenced by other things around
me. It’s nice to know I’m singing in a church service in the morning,
and I’m playing with a rock band at night.”

The catholicity of Mr. Burhans’s listening habits is something he has
in common with an increasing number of musicians of his generation.
Classical musicians who grew up in the 1960s and ’70s may have listened
to rock and played jazz in their off hours, but those influences didn’t
inform their performing lives. One reason was that “crossover”
projects, which sought to link pop and classical music, were regarded
as both unhip and inept by listeners on both sides. The doorways
between the repertories were few.

But by the time Mr. Burhans came of age, he noticed even at a
considerable distance from New York that the downtown Manhattan indie
rock scene had links to avant-garde artists and composers. And from his
point of view, as both a listener and a player, the boundaries between
avant-garde rock and avant-garde classical seemed invitingly porous.

The varied musical life that Mr. Burhans leads is evident to anyone
visiting his studio, a sunny, instrument-filled room in his Washington
Heights apartment. A book of Mr. Glass’s piano works sits on an
electric piano along one wall. And on music stands to either side of a
selection of guitars, violins (Baroque, modern and electric), a
mandolin and two violas (also Baroque and modern), Mr. Burhans has a
book of Bach sonatas, Mr. Reich’s “Violin Phase” and works by Biber,
Paganini, Ysaÿe, Xenakis and John Adams, as well as a couple of his own
pieces.

On the floor toward the center of the room, Mr. Burhans has a Casio
sampler and a collection of electronic pedals, which he uses to make
loops: recordings of musical passages that repeat continually. In some
of his music, shifting loop sequences form a backdrop against which
melodies unfold.

Sitting at his computer, Mr. Burhans played a handful of his loops,
some of which he uses as they are, in spacey, meditative (or at times,
rambunctious) electronic works; others are radically transformed. A
plaintive, minor-key violin and bass loop was the basis of a haunting
choral setting, “Nunc Dimittis” (2004), written for a church in
Rochester and also performed at Trinity; the new piece for Alarm Will
Sound and Alice Tully Hall is partly based on a loop as well.

Playing several instruments and being drawn to most musical styles is
in Mr. Burhans’s DNA. His father, Ron Burhans, was a guitarist and
bassist who toured as a sideman with Ray Charles, the Everly Brothers
and Kenny Rogers. After he gave up touring, he worked as a one-man
party band, with a repertory of about 3,000 songs and a setup that
included MIDI guitars, bass pedals, a drum machine and a vocal
harmonizer. (He died when Caleb was 17.)

“I’ve tried to figure out how Caleb ended up the way he did,” his
mother, Venus Burhans, said. “I would say part of it was modeling from
his father, who as a musician did not try to peg himself as just rock
’n’ roll. He was ready with all the country songs, the classics or
whatever was out there, basically so that he could work and put food on
the table. We could see that the more versatile you were, the more
marketable you were. So Caleb was always around music. His dad had all
his equipment set up in the middle of the living room, and whenever he
was away from it, Caleb would run up to the microphone and sing into
it.”

Mr. Burhans also got a sense of a musician’s itinerant lifestyle early
on. He was born in Monterey, Calif., in 1980, and lived briefly in
Chiloquin, Ore., before moving to Houston and then to Janesville, Wis.
He began his musical studies in Houston, when his second-grade music
teacher persuaded him to join the Spring Branch Boys Choir; soon after,
he was drafted into a production of “The Pirates of Penzance” as
Buttercup and discovered that he liked the attention.

He was also — haltingly at first — becoming interested in instruments.
He turned down his father’s offer of guitar lessons and gave up the
flute after a week before becoming fascinated with the violin. His
parents resisted his pleas for a violin at first, but when the family
moved to Wisconsin and Mr. Burhans was still clamoring for a fiddle,
they gave in.

“I didn’t listen to any classical music until I started playing the
violin,” Mr. Burhans said. “I discovered Mozart and the Beatles in the
same year, when I was 9. I came one day and said, ‘Could you guys get
me a Mozart tape?’ And my parents weren’t sure why, but they got me
one. I was listening to Mozart, Beethoven and Bach, and then Philip
Glass. Before Stravinsky or Bartok. It made sense, because I grew up
with 1980s rock, which is very compressed, and then there was Mozart,
with those Alberti basses that are almost like the arpeggio sound in
Glass, so when I first heard Philip’s music, it made total sense. It
wasn’t until I was 15 or 16 that I began listening to Ligeti, Xenakis,
Ravi Shakar and Aphex Twin. And I was, like, ‘Wow, this is all
great.’ ”

Having discovered his diverse group of musical favorites, Mr. Burhans
continued to sing in choirs and joined two professional local
orchestras when he was 13. He also played and sang in punk and jazz
bands. He studied piano for a while, getting as far as the Beethoven
concertos before deciding to give it up to spend more time composing.
When he made that decision, he also asked his parents to remove the
television and Nintendo game from his bedroom so that he wouldn’t be
distracted by them.

Summers, he attended music camps, including Interlochen in Michigan,
where he also spent a year preparing for conservatory auditions. Among
the musicians he came to know there was his future wife, Martha Cluver,
then a violinist and violist, now a soprano who often works with Mr.
Reich, John Zorn and other composers.

“We’ve known each other since we were 11,” said Ms. Cluver, who grew up
in Fort Atkinson, Wis., 30 minutes from Janesville. “We had the same
violin teacher. Even before I ‘liked’ him, I thought he was this
genius.”

  Ms. Cluver and Mr. Burhans both completed their music degrees at the
Eastman School, where they became involved with Ossia, a new-music
orchestra from which a group of graduating students — including Mr.
Burhans and Alan Pierson, the conductor — formed Alarm Will Sound in
2001.

“I encountered Caleb when he was a freshman,” Mr. Pierson said, “but I
had heard about him before I met him. A friend of mine who had been at
Interlochen mentioned that there was a phenomenal violinist coming to
Eastman. When we were planning an all-Ligeti program in 1998, we were
looking for a violinist. One of my friends, walking across the campus,
ran into this kid looking at the score for the Ligeti Piano Concerto
and thought, that has to be Caleb. We auditioned him, and he quickly
became an important part of the new-music scene.”

Mr. Burhans took a job as a substitute in the Rochester Philharmonic,
which was sometimes rocky. Once, when Mr. Burhans turned up at a
rehearsal with his hair dyed purple, the orchestra’s managing director
asked him to do something about it before the concert. Mr. Burhans
turned up in a witch’s wig, cut short. The next week he tried to dye
his hair a conventional red, but because of the purple die, it came out
crimson, so he shaved his head.

“I found out that one of the trumpet players was going around saying
that I was making a mockery of classical music because my hair was
purple,” Mr. Burhans said. “And I had a really intense conversation
with the managing director, where I said: ‘You know, I’m just trying to
help classical music, because if we don’t get more people like me
coming to these concerts, this orchestra is going to die. The only
people who are coming are old people, and you’re shooting yourself in
the foot.’ And he said: ‘Yeah, you’re right. Sorry.’

“But I made a sign that said, ‘I Make a Mockery of Classical Music’ and
started wearing it around.”

Mr. Burhans had decided by then that one of the brass rings of a
traditional classical music career — a seat in a major symphony
orchestra — was not for him. That was a big decision: jobs at the top
orchestras are scarce, but the base pay at several now tops $100,000.
(At smaller orchestras around the country, the schedules are sparser
and salaries can be around $25,000. Some musicians cobble together a
living by splitting their services among several orchestras in
adjoining states, which means driving hundreds of miles between jobs.)
Playing in freelance ensembles and chamber groups, to say nothing of
composing, though more attractive to musicians of Mr. Burhans’s
interests, is more financially precarious.

When Mr. Burhans and Ms. Cluver graduated from Eastman, they considered
moving to Boston but opted for New York. The decision was made
carefully, with the advice of friends who were pursuing careers. New
York remains the most vibrant center of classical music performance in
the United States, and it offers the most freelance opportunities.

Even so, it’s hard for a conservatory graduate to hit the ground
running, and Mr. Burhans and Ms. Cluver lived on credit cards at first
before landing choral jobs at Trinity Church in downtown Manhattan. The
jobs remain the basis of Mr. Burhans and Ms. Cluver’s household
economy, although they now both pursue a crowded schedule of freelance
jobs as well.

But lately Mr. Burhans has been wondering whether the cacophonous
variety of his career is a double-edged sword.

“I know Caleb is confused about this sometimes,” Ms. Cluver said. “He
thinks about focusing more on composing or on his band itsnotyouitsme.
But then all these other opportunities come up, and he gets really
excited about them. He’s just so talented, it’s hard for him to pick
and choose. With me, I’m just focusing on singing, and he’s told me,
‘I’m jealous of you, because you know what you’re doing.’ But I don’t.
He’s the one who knows what he’s doing. And most of the time, he’s
happy staying busy.”

His success has not dulled his wry, sometimes self-deprecating humor.
“When I was in school,” he said, “my grandmother asked me what I wanted
to do. And I said, ‘I’m going to move to New York and freelance.’ She
said: ‘What do you mean? Don’t you want to be in an orchestra?’ So I
said, ‘No, I want to live from paycheck to paycheck and not have health
insurance.’ She was terrified: ‘Oh, my God!’ And here I am, living
paycheck to paycheck and not having health insurance. I’m fulfilling my
dream.”