Re: Oud tunings

Although the other thing about DT is that he changes equipment pretty
regularly; he was involved in the early development of the Glissentar, but
never really used it much due to his dissatisfaction with the compensated
bridge and what he felt to be low-quality tuners.

-t-

ps: Here's something from the old Torn list 6 years ago (with a clue about
his preferred tuning at the end):

DT wrote in December 2002:
>< http://www.godinguitars.com/godinglissentarp.htm >
yes; i was involved in the prototyping of the glissentar.
at the time, i was unhappy with:
1) the low-quality of the tuners, and
2) the use of a compensated bridge.....

i had a very hard time w/the glissentar; it seemed to me (at the time) to
be
somewhat half-baked, and more like a fretless-bass type-sound than
oud-like:
(partially to do w/the gtr string length):
i no longer use it:
i'll stick w/the actual oud!

on that note:

i'll be receiving a new oud from luthier yaroub med fadel (tunisia) in late
february, and am *very* excited to play it!
while it is being built in the modern munir bashir/new iraqi style --- w/3
elliptical soundholes, no rosettes, strings ending at *body*-end (rather
than
at the bridge), etc--- it will be a 6-course, 11-string instrument (unlike
m.
bashir's 7-course, 13-string instruments), with a 60cm string-length.....
and
the lowest string will be at the bottom, in a more traditional arabic
tuning
than master bashir's.