RE: Portable recording device

After much online research and asking questions of owners, I recently got a
Zoom H4.  I haven't used it yet (still in the box), but the recordings I
listened to and user comments I got made it my choice.

dave

Byron Howell wrote:
> I am looking for a portable recorder to record samples of
> environments, conversations, backgroud noises etc..of the various
> places i visit. I would have to be as small as possible, able to
> record quality audio and be able to tranfer the data to my mac.

The most inexpensive unit I know of is the Zoom H2.  It can record
stereo or four channels with its internal mics.  It's decent and I like
that it uses ordinary batteries.  I have G.A.S. for it.  Get it on-line
cheaper than in music stores.  I hunt around Compu-plus for stiff like
this all the time.  I get their news letter a few times per week.

I have an original M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 with non-replacable
Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery.  I like it so well that when I saw the
Microtrack MkII for 199.99 at Compu-plus, I grabbed it.  It improves
upon the 24/96 but also has different problems like ground hum when
recording under external power.  I took both to Differen Skies and used
one for a board recording and one for an ambient recording.  (I plan to
line them up in Sonar some day.)  They're great in the field although
the 24/96's battery life is too short.  The MkII has much better battery
life.  Both allow line and mic recording from 1/4" TRS inputs.  It also
has SPDIF input, 1/8" mic input, and RCA outputs.  I have populated both
with 8G CFCs last year for $67 each. Two days ago, I ordered a 16G CFC
for $31.  (From Newegg?)

Cheers,

Bill